Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Fade to black...

It seems as though,
there has been some confusion,
It seems being black,
is just an illusion.

It seems as though,
it can be the way you walk,
And others say,
it's a way you can talk.

I heard the other day,
as a matter of fact,
Being black,
is a way you can act.

Sorry all of you posers,
I got some bad news,
Being black,
isn't something you choose.

Being black,
comes with a certain hitch,
when things get rough,
you can't sell out and switch.

All my ancestors,
that made that first trip,
didn't act black,
just to get on that ship.

And my ancestors,
many lying in their graves,
Didn't act black,
Just to become slaves.

They didn't act black,
praying faithfully on their knees,
facing the White Supremacist,
and getting hung in trees.

The phrase acting black,
is such a disgrace,
it demeans all the struggles,
went through by my race.

So you can copy our talk,
you can copy our style,
But you'll never be black,
not even for a little while.....

Fade to Black...............

3 Comments:

At Thursday, 28 July, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

That is great!! Well now I have Mr and Miss Hallmark ( aka you and Kym ) lol...I have always called her Miss Hallmark cause of all the things she writes, I feel like she needs to work for them, and now you also...

 
At Thursday, 28 July, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a wonderful writer and that is the complete truth. You never cease to amaze me.

 
At Sunday, 18 December, 2005, Blogger BrytEyz said...

Though I am not black and never "act" or pretend to be so, I do notice when a "wanna be" is around and I wonder, "WHY?" Why can't folks just be who they are? It's different if a white person grew up in the "hood" and didn't know any other way to speak, but for an educated white boy to pretend to be somethig he's not, as if walking with a "MAD BLACK MAN" chip on his shoulder makes him tough or something, that's really sad that they don't love themselves enough to BE themselves!.

And vice versa, why is it wrong for someone to speak properly and enunciate words correctly just because they're black. That doesn't mean they're selling out.

I can't even begin to say I know what it's like to be black, I don't and never will. But I don't know what it's like to be "white" either (being worse than a half-breed - but being MULTIPLE or "all of the above" box checkers when it comes to race questions.) See, I am an American Mutt. I am a mix between the freedom to love who you wish, and the constraints of color and faith and social class. I am a mix of educated and Cabrini Green. I am a mix between science and art. I have it all pumping through my veins with every heartbeat and no "class" or "race" wishes to claim or even adopt me. So, I sit at the sidelines and cheer for humankind in general. I have never been allowed to play the game, but I am present at each and every fumble, each and every pass, and each and every touchdown!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter